Saturday, June 25, 2011

Custom

I’ve been crazy busy lately doing a lot of custom work. Sometimes it just requires color changes to designs I have in the shop – which is always fun. I generally try and snap some pictures of these and post them as new listings, but that doesn’t always happen. For example, most recently I had a customer request a light purple/lavender color for the boots style, since the only purples I have available are dusty purple and eggplant. So I was more than happy to oblige!

I had a customer request boots in brown with a blueaccent, fashioned after these loafers, and that was cool. (I had a customer more recently ask for the boots in rose pink with brown trim, which came out so cute; I hate that I didn’t get a picture of them!)

What I find most adventurous and fun is when a customer asks for a design that I don’t have listed in the shop. It gives me the excuse to play with style and shape, and figure it out, and I love that. I usually first do a sketch of what I want with what measurements it needs to fulfill, and then I calculate the gauge of stitches, and go for it. Usually it takes about 3 tries for it to come out exactly how I want it. The tail hat (which is about to undergo another revision) and these cute leg warmers are the most recent examples.

Summer is definitely the time to work out new designs! With school out, I can actually be patient and take the time to work these things out. Come fall, it won’t be so easy… orders will pick up in a big way, I’ll be slogging through my last (finally, finally!) semester of school, and Cameron will be in first grade (love it!). So I’ll be cherishing summer while it lasts;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment