Friday, May 6, 2011

Educated

I am twenty-six years old, and I am a fifth-year senior at Arizona State University. I started school back when my son was a toddler, and I was still married. During my time at school, I’ve gone from working as a florist, to a retail sales associate, to owning my own business. I went through a divorce, an identity crisis; I was a lit major, then a secondary ed major, then back to a lit major. I’ve been on the Dean’s list twice, clung to my purpose as a student like a life line, as well as equally resenting it as a burden and distraction. I’ve failed three classes, dropped several, and earned A’s in most of my non-major classes. I have loans that I’ll be paying back for the next ten years.

(from Wacodis)

It has been such a journey – and certainly not always pleasant – and it’s amazing to think I’ve lasted this long as a student. I began my studies at age 22, when most of my high school friends were graduating, and my decision to go back and try again (after my freshman stint at age 18) stemmed largely from the fact that I didn’t want to work in a retail store at $10 an hour for the rest of my life. All I had to do was look at my two-year-old son and the dedication would solidify inside me. I had to do it.
I have two classes left for my degree. After four years, that’s all that’s standing between me and that distinction that I can put on my resume.
I can’t wait to finish! I CAN’T WAIT. I’ve been through so much in the last four years, but I feel like the next chapter in my life won’t start until it’s finished. So here’s to another semester in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment