Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Interrupted

It’s just like Murphy’s Law that states anything that can go wrong, will go wrong – right when the inspiration and motivation strikes to help me jump three steps ahead, something interrupts and sends me reeling backwards. If you read my last post, you would have seen how on fire I was – so ready to take my business to the next level.
Right after I laid out my plan of action, my mom landed in the hospital with the discovery of a pulmonary embolism (a blood clot in the lung). She was in the hospital for six days, and as she was hopped up on Percocet, I spent most of my time there, not just keeping her company, but also doing the mother hen thing – talking to the doctors, making sure she was comfortable and had everything she needed. It was a stressful week and set me back in my order queue, not to mention all of my plans to organize and revamp went out of my head.
The week after that, the spring semester started, and I’ve been bombarded with a crazy amount of homework since day one. Of course my last semester of college would be grueling and stressful – why not?
Last Friday I finally sat down and analyzed how I was using my time verses what I really needed to get done. I ended up making a complete daily schedule for myself to account for homework, work, exercise, grocery shopping – you name it, it’s on there. Then, I went even a step further and made a color-coded calendar of homework deadlines, so that I wouldn’t forget anything, haha. I have four classes, each in orange, red, green, and blue, and the days between now and the second week of May are almost completely full. Scary. I just have to keep reminding myself that come May 12, I will graduate and have my degree. Whew!
I think it’s important to remember that regardless of what comes at you, you need to focus on your goals, and not give in to excuses. I might be behind on what I want to accomplish, but the goals are still there. Time to move forward!
Question: How do you keep yourself organized? Or do you just like to wing it? Haha, I would love to know if you have any little tricks you use to keep yourself on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment